Club communication: Changes in coaching staff
Tor Thodesen will no longer act as HIFK Fotbolls head coach. Teemu Kankkunen (UEFA Pro) and Mike Keeney (UEFA Pro) will take charge of the squad. The reason for this change is the club managements dissatisfaction with the teams performance during the 2020 season. Risto-Matti Toivonen (Master of Sports Science) will continue on as physical coach.
– Thodesen joined the team last year and, with regards to the difficult circumstances he faced, managed to be successful. Tor brought certain aspects that we wanted to the team and for that we want to thank him. This year the start to the season has not been as successful as we would have wanted. With one win in 9 competitive matches (Suomen Cup and Veikkausliiga) we felt a change was needed. We need to get more out of the squad, and to find our game, sports director Mika Lönnström commented.
– Lacking results is never up to just one man, and I know that changing coaches during the season doesn’t automatically lead to better results. But we are at the beginning of the season, our style of play is incoherent, and we need to do what we can to bring on the change we need, HIFK Fotboll AB CEO Christoffer Perret commented.
– The head coach bears the responsibility of the teams results, but we all need to take a look in the mirror and think about what we can do to get back on track. We have a lot of knowledge and skill in the coaching staff and the squad. That skill has not been reflected on the pitch. These players can do better, of that I am sure. I have complete confidence in the abilities of Teemu, Mike and the rest of our backroom staff, said Perret.
– I would like to take the opportunity to thank Tor Thodesen. He is a good coach, who has given this club a lot. We came along well, but as this clubs CEO I had to make the tough decision of calling Tor in to the office on Sunday. I want to wish him all the best in his future endeavors.
– Having to change coaches in the middle of a season is always a failure for the club management. But leadership also includes the ability to learn from mistakes, and sometimes drastic action is needed. Now we will turn the page and focus on the future, and see to it that the the new coaches have the support they need, said Perret.
toimitusjohtaja Christoffer Perret, 040-8443250
urheilutoimenjohtaja Mika Lönnström, 040-6639120